Remember the word association game? Someone says a word and you say the first word that comes to mind. Today’s word is Scrambler. The “game” started yesterday at work, and to be fair, the first two people knew they were on the same page.
Let’s stop right there. What do YOU see/think when I say scrambler?
Third person confessed he was confused; context made it clear he wasn’t on the right page. He KNEW there was no carnival ride in the parking lot. Google Images to the rescue; there are a HOST of Jeep Scramblers there.
I kinda’ feel life is just a big ol’ scramble for a lot of us right now, with the confusion of a game of telephone mixed with the word association game too. Almost everything is more complicated than it should be, and that adds stress.
For me, I’m managing that stress with sweat. No… I’m still not going to the gym, but I am working out at home. It’s still too hot for running most of the time, but that’s okay because my running partner is currently napping. We worked yesterday, and a long, full workday leaves her exhausted for at least the next day. Before I blame it on her age, she did also pitch in and help cut grass yesterday evening when we got home, so it’s not as though she’s slowing down!
I also have a phenomenal support system. We all need people in our lives who have our backs, make us laugh and build us up. Everyone needs work colleagues who know what your coffee order is, who draw smiley faces on paperwork, etc. We should all have a friend or two who sends well-timed memes, even in a work email.
On that note, let’s lighten it up. Here’s a list of sundries based on my work world:
- Dunkin’ over Starbucks. Large iced, 2 whole milk, 2 flavor swirls.
- Blue gel ink, not fine point.
- All the pink “clickable” highlighters, with a green or two in reserve.
- Chrome, even when a website says it may perform better something else.
- Don’t give me papers; share it in Google Docs or if you’re old school, send a digital file.
- Salty over sweet, but please Covid, bring the popcorn machine back!
- Filtered water, but if it has to be a soda, make it Dr. Pepper.
- ALL the post-its. Baby notes for brief comments, traditional (UNLINED!!) squares for most, but sometimes a message requires the double-sized version.
What are your not so secret keys to a happy desk life?