I remember getting in trouble for asking too many questions as a child. I guess that’s why I loved philosophy and still like knowledge just for its own sake. I also want to reconnect with you and connect with new folks too, so here are a few points I’m pondering today:
- Why do I exercise?
- Why do I own no fewer than four coral cropped/capri pants/leggings?
- What’s your favorite flower and why?
- Do you have a favorite color?
And my responses…
- I exercise because I feel better when I do. Yes, it’s good for me, but it doesn’t really allow me to eat anything and everything. I’m currently listening to a podcast that suggests exercise slows down the aging process, and that’s cool too, because longevity seems to be in my genes and I want to be as active (mentally and physically) for all of the years I get. I also just really find it satisfying to work out. I will never be a fast runner, but I can run faster, longer, etc. I am comparatively strong, and I enjoy lifting bigger, heavier things, or turning what once was very heavy into a high-repetition weight. In short, I exercise because my body was built to move.
- It’s not a purely rhetorical question. It’s a symbol of the rather mindless way I’ve shopped in the past and I’m struggling to purge. I want to only keep what fits and makes me smile when I wear it (those basics we just have to have aside; I love black leggings in the gym, but don’t find joy in black pants, no matter how practical they are or how often I reach for them just because they work). I happen to really like all four pairs of coral things, so they stay until they wear out or I no longer reach for them regularly.
- I don’t really have a favorite flower. I love them all. In the past, I have said the gardenia is my favorite, and I do love those dark green, slick leaves and the highly fragrant, creamy blooms, but I also have come to appreciate my grandmother’s favorite carnation for the same reason she gave me… there’s a lot to be said for a bloom with staying power.
- See above; many times, I claim green, hunter or emerald or … as my favorite, but if you look around my home, a slightly darker red and every shade of blue dominates the scene in every room except the guest room, which is peach (light coral?) and a nearly teal blue. In my wardrobe, grey is my favorite staple.